Three days in a row of perfect sailing conditions on Biscayne Bay, January 27-29, and a dream event for all, with fantastic breeze, sun and shoreside Bacardi bonhomie at Bacardi Winter Series Event 2. A leaderboard shake-up saw all new leaders in the sportboats after Sunday’s racing, with J/70 glory claimed by John Heaton’s Empeiria. The change of breeze and flatter water called for a new race strategy, with the wind easing to 10-15 knots from the east and tapering off as the day unfolded. The Bacardi Winter Series Event 2 wrapped-up with the Bacardi Happy Hour at Shake-A-Leg-Miami and prize giving celebrations. Teams now look to the next event as the focus moves to the renowned Bacardi Cup and Bacardi Invitational Regatta in just over one month’s time, March 5-11. “We had really good starts and good boat speed,” reflected Heaton. “I have a really good team. We have sailed for two years together and I think our ability to keep going is a testament of our work.
J/70 Final Top 5 results after 9 races:
- John Heaton / Will Felder / Zeke Horowitz / Zac Mason (USA 169) – 25 pts
- Charlie Thompson / Chris Grube / Bex Saxton / Josie Gliddon / Elisabeth Whitener (GBR 1123) – 30 pts
- Robert Hughes / Marc Gauthier / Willem Van Waay / Manu Weiller (USA 353) – 31 pts
- Douglas Rastello / Alex Curtiss / Orrin Starr / John Wallace (USA 602) – 33 pts
- Richard Witzel / Carlos Robles / Max Salminen / Thomas Barrows (USA 1562) – 42 pts
For full event details, visit bacardiinvitational.com